Study Claiming Fluoride Does Not Lower IQ is Flawed
NEW YORK, May 27, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — A recent New Zealand study published in the American Journal of Public Health, which claims to exonerate a link between fluoride and lowered IQ, is scientifically flawed and reveals blatant examiner bias, says the Fluoride Action Network (FAN).
The study’s co-author, pro-fluoridation activist and dentist Jonathan Broadbent, claimed: “Our findings will hopefully help to put another nail in the coffin of the complete canard that fluoridating water is somehow harmful to children’s development.” However, the limitations of Broadbent’s study mean it is inconclusive at best.
Paul Connett, PhD, FAN Executor Director says, “Even if this study was high quality science, which it is not, it could not cancel out over 100 animal and 45+ human studies showing fluoride can cause brain deficits. Broadbent’s research has serious weaknesses.”
1) The study’s small sample size of non-water-fluoridated subjects (99 compared to 891 water-fluoridated subjects) means it has low ability to detect an effect. Even worse, 139 subjects took fluoride tablets, but Broadbent does not say which. Since fluoride tablets are only recommended for children living in non-water-fluoridated areas, there may have been little difference in total fluoride intake between his comparison groups. Broadbent’s failure to consider total fluoride exposure may thus explain why he found “no effect”.
2) Broadbent falsely criticizes 27 previous studies linking fluoride to children’s lower IQ – implying they didn’t adjust for any potentially confounding variables like lead, iodine, arsenic, nutrition, parent’s IQ, urban/rural and fluoride from other sources. In fact, several of the studies did control for these factors. A good example is Xiang’s work, which has controlled for lead, iodine, arsenic, urban/rural, fluoride from all sources, parent’s education, and socio-economic status (SES). Ironically, Broadbent failed to adjust for most of these factors in his own study despite having access to information on many of them.
3) Of the four factors Broadbent did adjust for, most were only crudely controlled. For example, SES was determined solely by the father’s occupation and classified into just 3 levels. Inadequate adjustment for SES could obscure a lowering of IQ caused by fluoride, because almost all of the non-water-fluoridated children came from one outlying town that had lower SES than the fluoridated areas.
“Broadbent is one of New Zealand’s leading political promoters of fluoridation. He is a dentist not a developmental neurotoxicologist,” says Connett. “This single weak study is hardly sufficient to outweigh the substantial body of evidence showing fluoride’s potential to harm the developing brain at relatively low exposure levels.”
SOURCE Fluoride Action Network
The Fluoride Action Network is excited to announce the launch of the FAN Study Tracker, the most up-to-date and comprehensive source for fluoride health research, including studies investigating how fluoride affects the brain (e.g., IQ scores), the bones/joints (e.g., arthritis), the cardiovascular system, the kidneys, and the thyroid gland.
Features of the Study-Tracker include:
• Over 1,500 abstracts and over 400 full-text studies.
• Filters that enable 80+ years of research to be organized by health category/subcategory, study type, and date.
• FAN’s entire set of translated studies, including over 25 new translations that have not previously been released.
• A “Related Content” feature that provides links to relevant FAN content for each study.
The depth of the Study-Tracker can be seen in the following numbers:
These numbers will continue to grow as new research is published, and new features will continue to be added.
FAN is committed to improving public awareness about the risks that fluoride poses to human health. We believe the Study-Tracker will help in this effort by making the science on fluoride toxicity more readily available than ever before. For information about how to use the Study Tracker, we put together the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flhSYK-TKI4.
And now, without further ado, the FAN Study Tracker.
*NOTE about SAFARI BROWSER: It has come to our attention that the Study Tracker is not currently working properly in Safari browser. We are currently working to fix this problem and recommend, in the meantime, that you use another browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome) to access the Tracker.
600 Physicians, Dentists, Scientists and Environmentalists Call for an End to Fluoridation
A statement asking Congress to end water fluoridation in the United States has been released by the Fluoride Action Network (FAN). Over 600 professionals, including a Nobel Prize winner, officers in the Union that represents Environmental Protection Agency professionals, and members of the National Research Council panel on fluoride’s toxicology, have signed the statement.
The report urges Congressional members to “recognize that fluoridation is outdated, has serious risks that far outweigh any minor benefits, violates sound medical ethics, and denies freedom of choice.”
It cites eight recent events that call for an urgent end to water fluoridation. Among them:
- A 500-page review of fluoride’s toxicology by the National Research Council of the National Academies, published in 2006.
- Evidence from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that found 32 percent of U.S. children have dental fluorosis, which is caused by fluoride.
- The American Dental Association’s 2006 policy change, which recommends not giving fluoridated water to infants for the first 12 months of life.
- A Harvard University study that found a five- to seven-fold increased risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) among young men who were exposed to fluoride between the ages of 6 and 8.
- The CDC’s recognition that fluoride is beneficial in reducing tooth decay when it’s applied topically, not taken systemically.
The statement calls for members of Congress to sponsor a new Congressional Hearing on Fluoridation that requires those who continue to support water fluoridation to provide scientific basis, under oath, for their continued recommendations.
According to one of the statement’s signers, Dr. Arvid Carlsson, winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize for Medicine, “Fluoridation is against all principles of modern pharmacology. It’s really obsolete.”
Dr. Mercola’s Comments:
This is truly excellent news! Slowly but surely, the truth about fluoride has been leaking out, and now it may finally have the chance to sink in and really prompt some major changes.
If you are new to the site, you’re probably still under the impression that fluoridated water is a good thing, so this news may come as a surprise. In reality, fluoride is a dangerous poison that does not help to protect your teeth when you ingest it via your drinking water. As even the CDC has admitted, fluoride may help your teeth if it’s applied topically, but taking it in systemically does not.
What it DOES do, as this much-needed statement points out, is:
- Increase your risk of bone fractures
- Decrease your thyroid function
- Lower your IQ
- Cause arthritic-like conditions and dental fluorosis
- Possibly increase your risk of bone cancer
On top of that, the statement reveals that federal agencies have admitted that “the industrial grade waste products used to fluoridate over 90 percent of America’s drinking water supplies (fluorosilicate compounds) have never been subjected to toxicological testing or FDA safety-tested approval for human ingestion.”
The fact that Americans have been drinking fluoridated water for more than 50 years has really been a giant experiment, at the expense of your health.
You can learn the underlying corruption and abuses of power that have allowed fluoride to be shamelessly promoted in the United States in Christopher Bryon’s The Fluoride Deception. The publication of this book is one of the eight recent events that’s referenced in the statement, simply because it reveals so clearly that industrial interests were behind the early promotion of fluoride.
How You Can Avoid Fluoride, and Help to Ban it in Your Water
If all goes well, this statement should make members of Congress take notice, and may prompt new regulations about fluoridated water.
Until then, you can protect yourself from fluoride by using only non-fluoride toothpaste and not receiving fluoride treatments from your dentist. To remove fluoride from your drinking water, you must use a reverse osmosis filter. Be sure that you’re filtering not only the water that you drink, but also the water you use to wash vegetables, make ice cubes, and cook with.
If you’re wondering how to keep your teeth healthy, remember that fluoride was never the answer in the first place. Eating right and avoiding processed foods (along with regular cleanings with your natural dentist) will ensure that your teeth stay healthy naturally.
Finally, if you’d like to voice your opinion about ending water fluoridation, the Fluoride Action Network has an online petition that you can sign to call for a Congressional Hearing.
Remember, every voice makes a difference, so please feel free to forward this message to all of your interested friends and family members.
Together, we have the power to prompt some real changes for the good of your health, and the health of future generations!
Seven ways to naturally protect yourself against fluoride toxicity
Saturday, February 23, 2013 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer
(From: www.NaturalNews.com )
More than 200 million Americans today are forcibly exposed to toxic fluoride through their public water supplies, and many more are exposed through the general food supply, much of which is made and processed with fluoridated water. And aside from installing a whole-house reverse osmosis water filtration system and growing all your own food at home, there is little that can be done to avoid fluoride exposure in some capacity.
The good news; however, is that there are practical steps you can take to detoxify your body of fluoride naturally, despite the fact that the chemical ion is relatively difficult to eliminate from the body. Here are seven ways you can naturally protect yourself against fluoride toxicity on a regular basis:
1) Tamarind. A tropical fruit tree native to eastern Africa, tamarind is a powerful weapon against fluoride toxicity. A 2002 study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that the sour, acidic fruit possesses a unique ability to capture and flush fluoride poisons from the body. In children, tamarind consumption was found to significantly increase the amount of fluoride excreted via the urine, as well as decrease the amount of magnesium and zinc excreted from the body. (http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n1/full/1601287a.html)
Another study published in the journal Research in Veterinary Science in 2011 arrived at similar results, having found that extracts of tamarind fruit pulp helped prevent sodium fluoride from accumulating in the blood, urine, and bones of rats. Compared to rats not receiving tamarind, tamarind-fed rats had far lower concentrations of fluoride throughout their bodies, illustrating the powerful fluoride-cleansing benefits of tamarind. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20980037)
2) Magnesium. If you regularly supplement with the mineral magnesium, or eat plenty of foods that are naturally rich in magnesium, chances are you have lower-than-average concentrations of fluoride in your body. This is due to magnesium’s unique ability to block the absorption of fluoride into cells. Conversely, chronic exposure to fluoride via water, food, and other sources actually depletes the body of magnesium, which means magnesium supplementation is typically needed simply to maintain adequate levels of this important, cleansing nutrient. (http://www.fluoridationfacts.com)
3) Iodine. The cells throughout the body contain special receptors that are intended for iodine, but that become occupied instead by fluoride as a result of excess fluoride exposure. As a result, the body develops iodine deficiency, which can lead to thyroid disease, infertility, mental retardation, early mortality, and a host of other illnesses. Because of this, it is important to regularly supplement with a high-quality iodine supplement such a Lugol’s or Detoxadine’s Nascent Atomic Iodine. (http://www.vrp.com)
“Iodine intake immediately increases the excretion of bromide, fluoride, and some heavy metals including mercury and lead,” explains Dr. Mark Sircus in a recent GreenMedInfo.com article. “Bromide and fluoride are not removed by any other chelator or detoxifying technique,” he adds, noting how important iodine is for fluoride detoxification. (http://www.greenmedinfo.com)
4) Coffee enemas, liver cleanses. The liver is the body’s repository for toxins, which means it is another common source of fluoride toxicity. Liver cleanses, and particularly coffee enemas, are important for chelating not only fluoride, but also other toxins and heavy metals that can build up in an overburdened liver and cause disease. HealthGuardians.com has created a helpful paper on coffee enemas and how to do them, which you can access here:
5) Infrared sauna therapy. An increasingly popular natural method for eliminating toxins from the body, infrared sauna therapy is another approach you can take to excrete fluoride from your body. Infrared sauna therapy uses energy to penetrate bodily tissue and release bound-up toxins, which are then flushed out through the skin by resultant sweating. Among these expelled toxins are heavy metals, chemicals, viruses and pathogens, and fluoride. (http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm)
6) Vitamin C. Therapeutic doses of natural vitamin C, that is vitamin C obtained through food-based sources, is another way to flush fluoride from your system, especially when taken alongside non-GM (genetically-modified) soy or sunflower lecithin. Some of the best sources of natural vitamin C include camu camu berry and acerola cherry, and to a lesser extent citrus fruits, berries, and green vegetables. (http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm)
You can also try making liposomal encapsulated vitamin C, which delivers mega-doses of bioavailable vitamin C directly into the bloodstream for maximum benefits. (http://www.naturalnews.com/034591_vitamin_C_mega-dose_healing.html)
7) Fulvic acid. Naturally produced by soil-based microorganisms for the purpose of making minerals and other nutrients assimilable by plants, fulvic acid is one of nature’s most powerful organic electrolytes. Fulvic acid works to achieve and maintain an appropriate chemical balance in cells, which includes ridding them of fluoride and other toxins. One of the most powerful free radical scavengers and antioxidants known to man, fulvic acid will not only help eliminate internal fluorides, but also replace them with trace minerals and other nutrients. (http://www.supremefulvic.com/documents/html/fulvic_acid.php)
Sources for this article include:
Washington Judges Set to Hear Case on Water Fluoridation
This Monday three appeals court justices in Tacoma, Washington will hear cases for and against fluoridation of the public water supply.
Those in opposition to water fluoridation point out that those in support claim fluoridated water is promoted as tooth decay prevention, thus fluoride should be recognized as a drug, (any substance used with intent to treat or prevent disease) and protected drug laws should apply. At this time the government does not consider it a drug.
As more citizens begin to question the safety of fluoridated water, the EPA has had to recently admit that the amount in the water supply is dangerous to children. A Harvard study recently linked fluoride to lower IQ’s but was quickly changed to say that “IQ’s were only lowered outside the United States.” The West Virginia University Rural Health Research Center recently reported that U.S. children in urban areas, with a higher exposure to fluoridated dental care and water, have just as many cavities as less fluoride-exposed rural children. A study by Dr. Dean Burk, former head of the Cytochemistry Section at the National Cancer Institute and Yiamouyiannis, showed a massive cancer increase in areas who received water fluoridation.
Many countries like Sweden, Germany, Finland and the Netherlands have discontinued water fluoridation and several areas within the United States are following suit. A recent hidden camera video inside a water treatment facility has pushed the anti-fluoridation movement even further with its attempts to remove the substance from the water. Just last year citizens in Wichita, Kansasand Pulaski, New York joined the more than 130 communities across the country to ban water fluoridation.
Whether you are for or against water fluoridation, you can attend the hearing by visiting yes4cleanwater.org to find out more.
Click on the link below to see the video of this program:
How safe is Fluoride in our water?
Thursday, November 15, 2012
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) — Corey Sturmer didn’t know much about fluoride in his drinking water until a year ago, when his dentist told him he has fluorisis, a condition that causes white spotting, yellowing and browning of the teeth, and erosion of the enamel.
“I asked my dentist … is there fluoride in the drinking water? And he said, yeah … it’s good for your teeth. So then I began to wonder, if it’s so good for your teeth, why am I, at 25 years old, having all these issues with my teeth?” Sturmer said.
Sturmer was a college athlete. He eats healthy food and exercises. He started doing research and found evidence that convinced him fluoride might not be as safe as he was led to believe. He came across an I-Team story ABC11 did five years ago in which a Durham dentist told us he believed we’re getting too much Fluoride.
“Fluoride in the water is essentially a drug. It’s an uncontrolled use of a drug,” offered dentist Michael Fleming.
Sturmer said what he learned made him take action.
“That motivated me to reach to you and to continue spreading the word and building up the website and talking to people,” said Sturmer.
Sturmer developed a www.durhamagainstfluoride.com website and took his cause to the Durham County Health Department. He’s also raising awareness by putting information on cars in downtown Durham.
Sturmer said he’s so concerned about the issue that he filters his tap water. His crusade may be limited to Durham, but he’s not alone in his fight. A movement to ban fluoride in drinking water is heating up across the country.
In Portland, Oregon this fall, residents protested a city council vote to begin fluoridating tap water next year. They have enough signatures on a petition to take the issue to the ballot box next year. In Wichita, Kansas last week, voters rejected a plan to add fluoride to their public water supply.
“Our task was essentially one of just education. Myself, I thought fluoride was a good thing not long ago,” explained Jonathan Hall with Wichitans Opposed to Fluoride.
As the I-Team dug into the science behind the fluoride controversy, we found study after study dating back to the 80s from respected academic and scientific institutions that connect fluoride to health dangers. Some of the studies were funded by the government. They suggest fluoride can be linked to brain, blood and bone deficiencies in humans. This past summer, Harvard University released a report after reviewing 27 studies of children in China exposed to fluoride. It concluded the higher the fluoride exposure, the lower the child’s IQ.
One of the most recognized reports was published in 2006 by The National Academy of Sciences. It found fluoride can affect the thyroid gland and potentially lower the intelligence of children.
“EPA’s drinking water standards are supposed to protect all persons against anticipated adverse health effects of the contaminant in question,” explained Kathleen Thiessen – one of the scientists who worked on the 400-page study. “And we concluded after three years worth of work that the drinking water standard for fluoride was not protected and cannot be assumed to be safe for humans.”
Thiessen said the EPA was warned about potential fluoride health dangers by one of its own chemists more than a decade ago. Dr. William Hirzy testified before a Senate subcommittee in 2000. He was representing the views of EPA scientists and staff who analyze hazards in the environment.
“In 1997, we voted to oppose fluoridation, and our opposition has grown stronger as more adverse data on the practice has come in,” said Hirzy.
“The CDC and others say whatever beneficial effect there is from fluoride is from topical use. It’s not from swallowing it. It never has been from swallowing it,” said Thiessen.
The I-Team discovered most western countries do not fluoridate their water. Dental records kept by the World Health Organization show tooth decay in those countries has declined at the same rate as here in the United States – where we do fluoridate our water. The American Dental Association has endorsed fluoridation since it began in this country more than 50 years ago.
“[It] has been shown to be a very safe and very effective preventive measure for treating a disease that is rampant in our population,” said Dr. Tim Wright with the UNC School of Dentistry. “There is no public health measure that is as cost effective as water fluoridation to prevent tooth decay … Fluoride is like so many things that in the right amount it’s very beneficial, and if you have too much, too much is not a good thing. So are we getting too much?”
Six years ago, the ADA thought infants might be getting too much fluoride and it warned parents not to use fluoridated water – but bottled water – to mix baby formula. Dentists also want to make sure children don’t get too much when they brush their teeth.
“That is why we currently recommend a smear or a grain-sized amount. So a very small amount in a child from the time they first get their teeth – which is six months to a year – until they turn 3. And then at 3, the recommendation is to go to more of a pea-sized amount so there’s a little bit more,” Dr. Wright explained.
Sturmer points to the warning label on toothpaste.
“If you look on the other side of that toothpaste tube, it says ‘Do not swallow.’ We’ve been taught as kids, when you’re brushing your teeth, do not swallow the toothpaste foam. Why is that?” he asked. “Because fluoride is poisonous … So why is it in the water? Why do we need to drink it?”
The EPA doesn’t believe the amount of fluoride in water is causing harm. It has not changed fluoride standards for drinking water more than six years after the report by The National Academy of Sciences, and that frustrates scientist Kathleen Thiessen.
“There probably never was a beneficial effect. Certainly by now when we have fluoride in toothpaste, we have fluoride in mouth rinse, we have fluoride in a number of sources. It is extremely easy to have too much fluoride. It’s much harder to control it,” she said.
“I think all city governments … need to reconsider water fluoridation. The science is out there, the citizens who are concerned are out there, and they are making their voices known,” said Sturmer.
Sturmer has convinced the Durham County Public Health Department to look into the safety of fluoride in the water.
The National Institutes of Health – for the first time ever – is currently funding an animal study to assess fluoride’s effect on the brain.
This all began in the 1930’s and 40’s, the aluminum and phosphate manufacturers were stockpiling Industrial Fluorosilicic acid, which was a byproduct of their operations. The growing accumulation of this waste was contaminating local water, harming livestock and crops near aluminum plants.
Looking for a profitable way to dispose of this toxic substance, they began to market it as rat poison. It is effective for killing rats, but that did not sell enough of it. Using some research that suggested it hardened teeth, the aluminum executives and their allies in business and government worked hard to convince the dental association to endorse sodium fluoride for public consumption through the water supply.
Fluoride makers change fluorosilicic acid from its water-based solution into powdered derivatives called sodium fluorosilicate and sodium fluoride, which suppliers add to drinking water.
This gave them a way to get rid of poisonous waste at a profit.
Water fluoridation began in the USA in 1945. As a safe and cost effective way to prevent tooth decay. Today more than 195 million Americans are on fluoridated water systems thats 72% of the US. But careful statistical studies by John Yiamiyanous Phd., biochemist and specialist in epidemiology (the study of population health statistics) showed no appreciable health benefit to teeth from fluoridation of water. On the other hand there has been a clear increase in cancer in cities where the water is fluoridated. Too much Fluorosilicic acid also makes the teeth and bones brittle.
Teeth can become mottled, and eventually more likely to crumble. Further, fluoride interferes with the uptake of iodine in the system, contributing to thyroid problems. Children have been seriously harmed or even died from swallowing fluoridated toothpaste or mouthwash not to mention is also harms the enamel on the teeth of young children.
Below I will list some pros and cons of Fluorosilicic acid in our local water system.
1. It is thought that adding Sodium Fluoride helps strengthen the enamel of teeth, preventing tooth decay, cavities and tooth loss. Which none of these have been scientifically proven.
1. Sodium Fluoride taken in doses of 10-20 parts per million may cause bone weakness.
2. Does not reduce cavaties and has been linked to thyroid disease and bone cancer in young males.
3. Fluorosilicic acid is a byproduct of fertilizer, aluminum, and phosphate production.
4. Causes fluorosis, Dental flourosis is a developmental disturbance of dental enamel caused by excessive exposure to high concentraions of sodium fluoride during tooth development.
5. Increases the chance of bone cancer, hyper and depressed activities and bone fluorosis which cause the bone density to reduce.
6. Though Sodium fluoride stimulates the oxygen formation and consumptions in white blood cells, it hinders this process once the white blood cell is challenged by a foreign agent in the blood.
7. Sodium fluoride decreases the amount of energy reserves in the white blood cell and it also decreses it’s ability to properly destroy foreign agents.
8. It also confuses the bodys immune system and thus, it starts to attack it’s own tissues and increase the chance of tumor growth rate in cancer affected individuals.
Dr. Dean Burk once co-founder of the US National Cancer Institute has conclusive evidence linking fluoridated water to increase of cancer in consumers. He conducted and completed a study comparing the ten largest US flouridated cities to the 10 largest non fluoridated cities and concluded that sodium fluoride should not be in our water. Citing cancer increase and death as one of his top reasons, also stating sodium fluoride should be banned by federal law quoting the Delaney Amendment Clause Armed with studies that conclude fluoride can cause osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, concerned groups asked the state to list it as a carcinogen.
The Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment debated whether fluoride belongs on
The New Mexican
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 -Truth about fluoride
I praise the five city councilors sponsoring a bill to cease fluoridating our water. Patti Bushee, Carmichael Dominguez, Ron Trujillo, Chris Rivera and Bill Dimas know about Harvard’s scientific study recently published that too much fluoride lowers human IQ.
Educators now understand that fluoride contributes to dumbed-down children. “Pseudoscience” from false data and hidden reports convinced an unsuspecting public in the 1940s and ’50s that “fluoride is good for you.” We believed that drinking fluoride and using fluoride toothpaste prevented tooth decay. We’re smarter now.
Drinking, breathing and eating fluoride, a toxic, industrial waste product, is not good for you and does not prevent tooth decay. Eating natural sugar, good oral hygiene, eating right and wise parenting prevent tooth decay. Drinking fluoride throughout a lifetime causes devastating side effects: calcifies soft tissues, muscles, organs, glands and brains. Deposits in our bones: skeletal fluorosis. The new breed of scientists tells the truth about fluoride. Thank you, councilors.